Saturday, March 03, 2007

EVP

What exactly is a EVP? The mystery of Electronic Voice Phenomena has long flown under the paranormal radar. Yet it does exist, which is something I can state from first hand experience.

I wish it didn't. For whatever reason, it is a phenomena that genuine spooks me. I think I was exposed to an episode of the old Twilight Zone at too impressible of an age (it was the one concerning phone calls from the dead). The thought gives me the willies and I often think twice before picking up the phone.

For those unfamiliar with EVP, they are voices (and other sounds of unknown origins) picked up on tape equipment or other forms of audio amplifiers. Sometimes they appear to be the voices of the dead and increasingly ghost hunters have used recorders as a mean of attempting to communicate with the great beyond. Other times they appear to be any number of other forms of disembodied voices, with one web site purporting to have recordings of angels singing (though one of the tapes sound more like Alvin and the Chipmunks played backwards).

Though not widely discussed, the phenomena is well known among recording engineers. Since all sort of radio waves create various forms of interference, it is usually a safe bet that the noise in the background of the tape has more to do with a local radio station rather than another dimension. But every so often, something strange occurs that is not easily explainable.

My own most impressive experience took place when I was once setting up the A/V system in an auditorium for a lecture one night. It was early and only I and the photographer were in the auditorium at the time. The event was a special presentation for a museum and it was a "high pressure" evening and everything was expected (actually, ordered was more the word) to go without a hitch.

The photographer was unloading his equipment at the back of the auditorium while I was just start to set up the PA system. Suddenly, a voice came full blast over the PA speakers, calling the photographer's name. The voice bore an uncanny resemblance to the director of the institution, who at the time was having dinner with selected guests at a restaurant on the other side of town. The director was infamous for his highly neurtic behavior patterns and extremely rough shod handling of employees. So I wasn't surprised to find that the photographer had broken out sweat.

I told the guy not to worry, that it was just a freak coincident caused by the PA system and radio interference. I didn't bother to tell him that the system wasn't on at the time and that there was no way this could have happened. I had a strange feeling that he didn't need to hear the truth at the moment.

Sometimes you just let sleeping dogs lie.

No comments: